The Last Year

It must have happened when I blinked.

Could thirteen years have passed already?

Wasn’t it just yesterday that I left her in that Kindergarten classroom?

A little girl sitting in a big desk. Legs dangling. Little hands holding the back pack that was bigger than she was. Her little lip quivering and me making a quick exit so that she wouldn’t see my own quivering lip.

Surely just a few short weeks have passed since we walked down the halls of this small country school on the way to the start of her first day. The same halls of the same country school that hold all of my childhood memories. The halls that saw lifelong friendships form. Saw fights and make-ups. Witnessed first loves and held the deepest of secrets. 



I love that we share these halls in common. Every nook and cranny of this old building. The same sights and smells. Same cafeteria. Even the same color paint on the bathroom stalls. All memories binding us closer.

I see her with her friends in these halls. It blesses my heart to see her making the kind of memories that will last a lifetime.

Oh if these walls could talk!

Even more of a blessing…..some of the friends that walked these halls with me as a child, now walk the halls as teachers. What a joy to have my oldest friends teaching my girl.

Here we are.

Nine years since that first day.

August brings with it the unfolding of the last chapter in this book called Jr. High. I'm trusting in God as He unfolds His plan in the life of my first born. I watch, I wait and I pray with great anticipation. I  see Him using her as a strong witness in her sphere of influence, even now. I thank Him for the young woman she is and the woman she will become.


Bracing myself,
Biting my quivering lip,
Tracey
<><










 The products in these photos are courtesy of DaySpring. They provided these items and gave me the opportunity to share my "back-to-school" story. I love the idea of my girls carrying scripture from God's Word with them at school. 






"And these words which I command you today shall be in your heart. You shall teach them diligently to your children, and shall talk of them when you sit in your house, when you walk by the way, when you lie down, and when you rise up. You shall bind them as a sign on your hand, and they shall be as frontlets between your eyes. You shall write them on the doorposts of your house and on your gates." Deuteronomy 6:6-9 


Back to School Supplies are Buy 2 Get 1 Free during the month of August. Back to School items can also be found at Walmart and/or a local Christian Retailer.




Comments

  1. So fun to see your Mama heart shining through, Tracey! Your daughter is blessed to have you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Holley! You are a treasure.

      Delete
  2. Ok, this post made my lip quiver too. My girl is entering 2nd grade, but the years pass so quickly! Love the Dayspring products and their encouraging messages!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Beyond

Dance

Story